Keepers of Time
History of Dunbarton
Dunbarton was started roughly 130 years ago as a stopover in the high mountain roads leading north from the Spiderhaunt Woods. I was nothing more than a collection of thatched buildings and a small inn made of repurposed wagon parts.
A group of monks seeking solitude to find the route to Ohgma built a small monestary. They built a strong walled structure to protect against brigands, owlbears and other evils. Dwarves began populating nearby in caves filled with coal and iron. They began amiable trade with the respectably serious and thoughtful monks. The dwarves provided the monks coal and iron in exchange for soft goods like leathers and wool from the monks goat herds. The dwarves also helped build the Gray Mare brewery, a facility with dwarven and human brewing techniques melded together.
Eventually the surrounding area had need of more iron and coal and the dwarves and monks were asked by The Lord of Daggerdale at the time to accommodate their needs. They discovered rich veins close to the surface but did not have the dwarves manpower to mine it. Daggerdale sent out the call for small claim miners and Dunbarton Monestary was flooded with races from all around. To manage the influx, the monks asked for someone to manage the chaos. They were sent a Lord and his retinue. This was the ancestor of Bjorn, the current lord.
The monks found that the influx too heavily interrupted their quiet study and brewing and most left for other monasteries or even for Candle Keep. The Lord of Dunbarton used the influx of wealth and labor to fortify the monastery and add a large barrier wall.
In 1273 DR, The Lord of the keep added a second story to the central castle and refitted the walls of the main walls with more modern parapets and towers. These were completed ten years later. These walls would be tested in 1290 when a resurgence of the Lycanthrope threat reaches Dunbarton and a small band of Lycanthropes attempt to breach the wall. The wall holds and the majority of the force is repelled by a warmage citizen of Dunbarton and the lead council to the Lord, an elf named of ’Ta Venius. He is believed to have left the town when the old lord died. He formerly occupied Rofet’s shop.
In 1352 DR the towns miners stumbled upon an enormous cavern in the mine network. This cavern had huge veins of silver. The cavern seemed endless and without waiting for proper mapping or exploration, the town exploded with miners wanting to grab claims to the silver. A large shanty town grew up almost overnight. Riches flowed from the mine like water. The town swelled from a population of roughly 300 to over a thousand, with no slowing in site.
This continued for months until some very greedy miners looking to undercut the competition went incredibly deep into the cavern to find a large stake of their own. Miles it went and they continues still. Until they were discovered by the native inhabitants of the cavern; the deurgar, or gray dwarves. Twisted by generations of deep delving, the evil creatures followed the miners trail of blood and tears back to the main mine. They attacked, first in hit and runs and slowly they gathered forces.
The town first sent adventuring parties to combat the threat with limited success. Tis escalated to full scale military involvement. Two hundred militia were raised and ready to march into the mine, but the deurgar were not the true threat, just the mindless henchmen of their masters; the mind flayers.
As the army marched, many of the town regulars felt the need to help in the defense of the mine. 250 men, dwarves and elves marched into the mine, less than 30 returned. Lord Bjorn’s son ordered the destruction of the mine to prevent the threat from encompassing the town. It was set with magical devices to implode and bury the invading forces. Many miners and soldiers were buried alive as the fight reached near the surface. Snori Stormbellows and Tnauhlt were at the edge of the implosion, Snori watched as Rothgar Bornadin, son of Veniri Bornadin, sacrificed himself to protect Snori’s escape. Tnault assisted the wounded and helped pull Snori and Lovi Bornadin out of the rubble. Tnault’s knowledge of healing helped save the life of Lovi and saved Snori’s right leg.
Around mid-1354 DR, only a week after the mine collapsed, the town began to empty. Most people were just miners living day to day in the shanty town. Without a standing army, many of the townsfolk moved to more well protected towns like Dagger Springs or Tilverton. Soon all that remained were those who had no money or good reason to leave. Dunbarton Castle began to fall into decline and disrepair. The old lord took residence in the Inn.
In early 1355, a brewer took up residence in the old monastery brewery. His name was Aedan Hrodgar.